Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm Kickin in my Red Prius?

Our musical heritage is full of songs depicting the American love for the automobile. I have listed a few below in no particular order although I am really fond of Maybelinne, Pink Cadillac, Freeway of Love and especially Mustang Sally. So I am wondering will the truly awful looking teeny cars, plug-ins and greenie weenie hybrids inspire the next generation of songs? I'm gettin' a jolt from my Volt?

I’ve omitted songs that do not specifically mention a make like Drive my Car by the Beatles.

"Freeway of Love" (Pink Cadillac)- Aretha Franklin

"Little Red Corvette" - Prince

" Jaguar" - The Who

"Mustang Sally" - Wilson Picket Pickett)

“64 Chevolet Impala” – Dr Dre (explicit)

“Wild, Wild Mustang_ (The Del-Tones)

"Little Deuce Coupe" - Beach Boys "Mercedes Benz" - Janis Joplin

"My Hooptie" (about a 69 Buick) Sir Mix-A-Lot (taken from his 1989 album Seminar)

“Pink Cadillac” – Natalie Cole

"Jeepster" by T. Rex

“Go Mustang” – T-Rex

"I'm Changing My Name to Chrysler" - Tom Paxton

"Chevy Van" - Sammy Johns

“Long White Cadillac” - The Blasters

“Who's Cadillac is That?” - War

“Little GTO” – Ronnie and the Daytonas

“Maybelline” – Chuck Berry (Coupe de Ville)

“Shelby GT 356” – Chesterfield Kings

“Rollin in My 5.0” (Mustang) – Vanilla Ice

“Chevrolet” – ZZ Top

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post.

Not many words rhyme with hybrid.

Can you imagine the teenagers 10 years from now "cruising"?

An end of an era.

Catherine - Athens, TN