I got this from a friend:
Congressional Reform Act of 2010
1. Term Limits -12 years only, one of the possible options below:
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
2. No Tenure / No Pension - a Congressman will collect a salary while in office but receives no pension when they are out of office.
3. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
4. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system that they have imposed on the American people.
5. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned that citizen legislators would serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
The original message also contained the following: "Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security - all funds in the Congressional retirement fund move immediately to the Social Security system. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress members participate along with the American people."
Of course, Congress already participates in social security as well as the Federal retirement plan. So I am not including this in the list above. Moreover, as to pension, I have no objection if the pension is a 401K - which Congress can already purchase rather than a defined benefits pension plan that guarantees the pension amount regardless of market performance.
Happy Birthday Frederic Bastiat
1 year ago